|This page describes a hat: a set of related responsibilities that a single person takes on each year. See also the Roles page, and Category:Hat page.|
This role is responsible for managing and stocking the camp’s coffee offering. This role requires work before and during the event.
- Ensure the camp has a working set of blenders ready for the burn.
- Formalize the coffee recipe for the year. Ideally, make some test batches.
- Establish a daily budget of coffee, creamer, and ice for each day the lounge will be open.
- Write up the amount of instant coffee, and creamer to purchase and communicate it to the Early Arrival crew.
The biggest part of the Coffee Coordinator's job is to know how to make the ice coffee for hookah lounge. Its worth practicing before the burn, and again once you're on Playa before you have to start serving. Feel free to tinker with the recipes, but make sure to set an allotment for the ingredients. We have run out of a different ingredient each year, so there are recipes for coffee without most of them - you may have to invent another during the week. Try to ration appropriately.
You should expect to help out for the first half of the first few Hookah Lounge shifts during the week. The more quickly you teach other people the sooner you can stop doing this.
There are two other coffee-related activities that you can choose to do. If you elect to do them, talk to the camp leadership ASAP to see if you can get camp people to help with shifts. The first is hot coffee in the morning. We make coffee with french presses and run them to neighboring camps. Its an amazing way to make friends! The second is coldbrew for the camp.
Here is what we brought to the burn in 2016. We ran out of creamer, but that is mainly due to a new recipe that was invented that took up way more creamer than we used before. These allotments should be good for the future if we ration properly.
- 15 16 oz Folgers Instant Coffee - 2017 COFFEE COORDINATOR: SAMEER HAS TONS OF INSTANT COFFEE, MAKE SURE TO GET IT FROM HIM
- 2 56 oz Nestle Coffeemate Powdered Creamer
- 1 8 count pack 22oz N’Joy Pure Cane Sugar
- 8 bags Ground Coffee beans
- The camp has 2-3 French Presses to make hot coffee. As long as they are in good condition you shouldn't need any more
- We normally offer to add alcohol to iced coffee if the guest can show ID. Unfortunately, most of the booze we have left is awful for coffee, so it helps to grab a bottle or two of whiskey, bailey's, or anything else you think might be tasty